Nutrition on Wheels - Truck Driver
Reports To: Director of Agency Partnerships and Programs Positions Supervised: None FLSA: Non-exempt Hours: 7:00 a.m. – 3:30 p.m. Mon –Fri (Other hours as needed)
Safely operate Mid-South Food Bank vehicles. Safely load, transport, and distribute food and related product. Maintain working relationships with site representatives.
- Operate Mid-South Food Bank vehicles to pick up and distribute food at medical clinics and senior sites. Ensure truck is properly loaded, secured and within weight limits.
- Inspect and verify the contents of inventory loads against shipping papers
- Follow a schedule of pick-up and delivery; maintain record of distribution activities utilizing Pantry Trak.
- Report delays, accidents or other traffic and transportation situations to supervisor using mobile tablet
- Load and unload trucks by hand and pallet jack.
- Maintain working relationships that ensure the success of Mid-South Food Bank programs. This includes maintaining positive interpersonal relationships with donors, volunteers, agency representatives, Food Bank management and staff
- Comply with specialized regulations, such as US Department of Transportation regulations.
- Other duties as assigned
- High school diploma or equivalent; commercial drivers license (CDL) required
- Two years experience driving a truck in all weather conditions.
- Good verbal and written communication skills
- Demonstrated attention to detail, knowledge of good record keeping procedures and the ability to maintain accurate and legible records and current files
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- Ability to read maps, speak clearly over phones and radios and follow written and verbal geographic directions
- Ability to operate a forklift and a manual or powered pallet jack, forklift certification a plus
- Ability to lift a minimum of 75 pounds
- Ability to successfully complete a Safe Food Handling Course
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with donors, volunteers, agencies and other Food Bank staff
- Acceptance of philosophy of food banking
Depending on the route the driver may operate the vehicle in moving freeway traffic or through congested surface streets. Work is performed in weather that may make driving hazardous.
This position requires the driver to deliver and distribute food to clients onsite in an outdoor area.
The driver’s back, legs, arms and hands have increased exposure to stress due to extended sitting for long times and vehicle vibrations. The driver’s eyes have increased exposure to stress due to driving when there is inadequate illumination or in direct sunlight. The driver is exposed to exhaust fumes when standing near a running vehicle.
May push and pull pallets up to 2,000 pounds while operating pallet jack. May lift, move and carry objects up to 75 pounds.
MSFB Mission: We change lives by eliminating hunger in the Mid-South.
MSFB Vision Hunger to Hope
MSFB Values: Accountability, Collaboration, Dignity & Respect, Diversity, Innovation, Integrity, Passion, Service, Stewardship, Urgency
To apply, stop by the office at 3865 S. Perkins Rd. Memphis, TN 38118 during the hours of 8:30 a.m.-5 p.m. Monday thru Friday. Or, download an Application Form and return it completed to the email address: HR@midsouthfoodbank.org