Kids Cafe provides low-income children with a free, hot, nutritious meal in a safe, friendly environment.
The children sit at tables and are either served by volunteers or go through a line where they can make meal choices. They may have multiple servings of all foods except dessert.
Kids Cafe provides good nutrition to children who may not always eat enough wholesome food at home. Meals are served in late afternoon during the school year and mid-day in the summer.
- On average, 90 percent of the food distributed is of high nutritional value. The remaining percentage is condiments, snack items and desserts.
- Mid-South Food Bank has added distribution of bags of fresh produce for children to take home, including items such as sweet potatoes, cabbage, apples, oranges and pluots (plum/apricot hybrid).
- Children anticipate and appreciate the program. We received positive comments about the food, especially since the new cook came on board. She introduced several casserole dishes the children enjoy. They are also a great way to get more “hidden” vegetables to the kids.
- In addition to nutrition lessons and activities to teach children the value of good food and nutrition, we added a personal hygiene lesson, separate for boys and girls, and gave the kids soap, shampoo, body wash and the older girls received feminine hygiene products.
- For more information contact Tasha McCraven Tmccraven@midsouthfoodbank.org